Sunday, July 11, 2010

Gander, NL - Spectacular Saturday

I am hopeful that this trend of enjoyable Saturdays continues. This was a jam-packed fun day, so I better stick with the highlights. And what better way than through a 'top ten' list? I haven't done a 'Top Ten' list in a while.... must admit, am a little excited about it. Just a little note, that it is in chronological order as I couldn't decide how to prioritize such a super day. So, here we go - the highlights:

10. The heat wave we are experiencing in central Newfoundland. I am a sun-worshiper (in an appropriate, non-pagan way of course, lol). Yes, it made me a sweaty betty, but well worth it for the warmth and vitamin D intake!

9. The pride I felt after making the loop around the boardwalk of Cobb's Pond in the morning, and then turning around and running back (yeah, me!). Perhaps not the wisest move considering the heat wave N'fld was experiencing, but it felt great - like a real accomplishment to do a double loop.

8. Orangina: How deliciously satisfying and thirst-quenching a glass of icey Orangina tastes after returning from a run in scorching hot weather - like liquid gold, gold I tell you.






7. Overall, our road trip to Twillingate and all the stops in between Gander, there, and back again. I love new adventures!

6. Lunch at RJ's? JR's? Whatever the name, I enjoyed some very tasty fish & chips with a great view of the harbour from our table at the big picture window. (Come on, did you really think a 'Top Ten' list would go by without mention of food?)

5. The views. Honestly - spectacular. My fascination of water remains in tact after this visit. And as a sidebar, I must admit, the beach we saw was reminiscent of a certain beach that my pal Dave & I went to in Cinque Terre, Italy. The full details of that sidebar would require far too long of a sidebar, but suffice it to say it was a *sketchy* situation but makes for a good story.

4. When we reached the top of the final staircase returning back to the car from our impromptu hike in flip-flops.

3. The 9 km point along a 12 km stretch of ripped up and gravelly road where Cory decided to inform Pam that it might be slightly longer than her predicted 1 km.

2. The chicken korma and basmati rice I made for supper in honour of my bro Paul's burfday (who was going out for Indian in Stratford with his g/f). Yes, you will note a second food reference here... Really, are you really surprised?

1. For some crazy reason, Pam and I decided to go for a run later than evening when the heat had cooled off a little. Again, very satisfying in that moment, but I paid for the over-exertion for the next 2 days!

4 comments:

  1. you are insane joyce! all the eating sounds delightful. all the hiking and running and walking and going here and there sounds exhausting. around here we do this thing where we take our bum and we plant it firmly into overstuffed furniture. we call it sitting. then we don't get back up.
    :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. One Word........Character!!! Cheers for the honourable mention/and meal. While I sat there and ate the delicious chicken tikka masala I thought of the times you used to make us some incredible thai style curries....mmmmmm mmmmmm.
    We'll have to have a cook off soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was at R&J's on Tuesday night :) I had a chicken burger though...no fish. The view is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Joyce, we're a lookin and we're a likin, BUT we dont see much 'I spent 5 hours workin on my Masters paper that is due all too soon. Wanna provide a bit of reassurance here to 'Worried in the UK'
    Dad

    ReplyDelete