Wednesday, January 16, 2013

New year... new baby,... new challenges.

The snow we wanted at Christmas finally came with the New Year!
Hard to believe that Christmas has come and gone as I sit here in early 2013.  Along with the new year comes the realization that within 7ish weeks, I'll be a mum!  Also - on a related note - comes the realization that within that same period of time, I will no longer be pregnant!!!  Don't get me wrong, I don't hate pregnancy, but I do recognize that I am NOT anything like that woman on "What to Expect When You Are Expecting" who has that constant pregnant glow, who still walks - not waddles - around with perfect make-up and stilettos, and who only has to give a gentle sneeze in order to deliver her child.

Me in my endless effort to get comfortable...
It is amazing the things that people warned me of, but that I couldn't fully comprehend until I'd experienced them for myself...  Such as the constant - and losing - battle of getting comfortable in the final trimester.  Or there are those things that no one told me about, but I can only deduce must be pregnancy related.  Like my  insanely chapped lips.  Josh has affectionately renamed my lips, 'razors'.  I can only attribute this new phenomenon to my night-time mouth breathing - aka just call me 'Snoring Monster'!  Which, let's be honest, other than the chapped lips has more implications for my husband than for me.

And, I know, I know, there are also those things that no one can prepare you for...  But let's just sidestep that *elephant in the room* for the moment!

A big surprise for me (and likely will be for those of you who know me) has been my loss of appetite.  Perhaps more shocking is my lack luster interest in food.  As a person who has traditionally adored food - this has come as probably one of the biggest surprises of all.  Food and eating has become purely functional - I know the baby needs it (and that I do), but much of the enjoyment has gone from it.  I have heartburn before I eat,... AND after I eat.  It seems unlike many expectant mums I have spoken with, I now have a much smaller appetite than pre-pregnant Joyce!  Even when I think I have sufficiently reduced quantities, it is always *too* much food.  Adding to my general and overall discomfort :D.

Now cold drinks on the other hand, I DO enjoy.  And this particular realization can be written up in the books.  After 5-6 years of the thought of a glass of ice cold milk being disgusting to me, these days,... nothing is more appealing! I feel like I could be one of the greatest advocates for the "Got milk?" advertising campaign, because I genuinely get hyped up at the thought of milk. [Insert pause here while I went & grabbed myself an ice cold glass of milk]. 

All of this to say, I am excited about entering into this next phase - this new year, new baby, new challenge!  And it did strike me last night that even though pregnancy isn't a complete walk in the park, I am pretty sure I will miss my baby giving me a little hoof,... or,... a BIG one.  But then, he or she will be too busy keeping me up all night for me to notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment