Thursday, November 29, 2012

The First Snowfall - I am blessed!

As I sit here in our heavily decorated living room, I find it difficult to imagine what Christmas preparations and celebrations will be like next holiday season with a baby at the centre of it all!  Sidebar:  I should also point out that I sit here snugly wrapped in my Snoogle (a genius invention that others may know of as a body pillow designed specifically for pregnant women)!  Best.early.birthday.present.ever.

My 3 current faves: Snoogle, cozy CB throw & hot apple chai!
And I feel especially reflective this morning as I look out at our first snowfall of the 2012-13 winter season here on Cape Breton and think back over the last 4 Christmases.  I can hardly believe how my life - and my locations - have changed.  I've lived in Goderich, ON - in Winnipeg, MB - and now Glace Bay, NS.  I've resided in my family home, a condo, and now my own house.  I've been a planner, a student / cadet, and am now an officer.  I've been single, married, and now pregnant...

Our first snowfall has arrived...  YEAH!
It was only 4 years ago when I became a senior soldier in The Salvation Army that my life really began to change.  And it has just caused me to pause - to take a breath this morning as the sky has gone from to dark to light (with Josh at the gym, I have a quiet moment to do that:)...  I am blessed.

In the busyness of this Christmas season, I will confess to you I have had moments of feeling overwhelmed, and I'll admit, being a bit melancholy.  To be thousands of kilometres from family and friends as I experience this journey of pregnancy and upcoming motherhood without being surrounded by those I love is sometimes tough, combined with extremely long days, difficulty sleeping, blah, blah, blah.

Whine over.  Because it is then, in those low moments, that the baby gives me a significant 'hoof' (far more than a kick) reminding me of the miracle of life growing inside me.  Or Josh shows up with yet another Christmas surprise (how the man can find ways to surprise me when we share a vehicle and work together is beyond me)!  Or, we receive a note of encouragement from someone to say thanks for our hard work in the community.  God seems to give me these subtle - and not so gentle - reminders that He is here with me, that life is actually pretty wonderful in all of its messiness and chaos and disorder.

Within the imperfection of your own life - as I will hazard a guess I am not alone in that - can you find blessing this Christmas?  My prayer this morning is that you experience the fullness of His joy this holiday season!
Christmas at the Downers!

No comments:

Post a Comment