Saturday, June 26, 2010

Gander, NL - Days 2 - 4

So much to say since my first day here (and post), so rather than bore you with the details, let me share in a few of the highlights...

- SUN! We have enjoyed some nice weather so far.
We did have aday of rain, but other than that, the comments around town have been what unusually lovely & warm weather we are having. I am making every effort to enjoy it while it lasts. Which has included more runs around my new face spot, Cobb's Pond, and whic
h included a walking adventure around the Town today (that ended with a $1 McD's pop as a treat:).

- FLOWERS! I had an unexpected surprise arrive at the door when I was about to head back to the office after lunch on Friday... a gorgeous bouquet of flowers courtesy of my 'beau'.
Apparently it pays to call him on the challenge of his claims of being romantic. I ask you, what is it about flowers that keeps you smiling for an entire day? But it does. Strange phenomenon indeed. Very impressive that: (1) he pulled off a surprise, and (2) that it was tim
ed perfectly so that I was still home when they arrived (oh, and obviously brownie points because the bouquet was full of pink flowers). Good job Joshua!

- LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! This week I have witnessed love in all forms. I have heard of the intensity with which a mother loves her children and the way she will do *anything* to protect them...
I see the way Christians will make sacrifices for their faith and to serve God...
I watched a couple renew their vows where it was clear through the tears and intensity of emotion that their love for one another was deeper and stronger and more real than on their wedding day... And as I was surrounded by thousands of Salvationists in St. John's Mile One, people's love for The Salvation Army was clear. What came through all of these experiences was Christ's unconditional love for us and that he gives us glimpses of his perfect love through our imperfect selves.

I think I should end there, but my final remarks for this post are only to say that I have a real sense of peace here. I know that things may become more chaotic as the summer progresses, and that on any given day I may not accomplish anything I intended, but here is what I do know... I am doing what God has called me to do - and there is no greater joy or nothing that should give us greater peace than that.

3 comments:

  1. I love that he surprised you with flowers...how thoughtful!! You scored some good girlfriend points now UA. So happy for your there, it sounds like a perfect fit for you, right down to the running partner! Enjoy the peace...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog Joycee - makes me feel as though I'm not quite as disconnected from everyone. Keep the updates coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flowers are so sweet! I'm so glad you're having a good time, and glad we get to read about it!

    ReplyDelete