Thursday, June 24, 2010

Gander, NL - Day 1

"Here I am. This is me. There is nowhere else on earth I would rather be." - Spirit (Disney Movie)

Life is good and I dove right in my first day on my summer assignment in Gander, Newfoundland. What wonderful people the officers are who I am working with:).

We left for the Corps at 8:30 am after my first of what I trust will be many good night's rests, and I was feeling very proud of myself as I had the opportunity to eat a good breakfast while I sat and did my morning devotional (rather than the typical running around like a chicken with my head cut off...).

Tim Horton's seems to be part of the ritual of the officers day and I am a-ok with that:)...
Once this important stop had been made,
I toured the Corps, a nice modern building, and then we did a general intro and went over some administrative and financial things to do with the Corps. Captain Cory and I visited my new friends at Family Services and the Thrift Store before the day was out, and we also toured the former DHQ building which is on the Corps property where both ministries are moving into following some renovations. I am excited about all that is taking place in this community!

Following a lunch in my sweet little apartment, Captain Pam and I did some hospital visitation in the afternoon, and this seems to be a significant part of the ministry that takes place here. I enjoyed dinner with the family - yummy BBQ - and then we headed out (tunic on, hat in hand) to load up chairs and speakers for the Ecumenical Flower Service happening at two cemeteries.
It was a really lovely liturgical service but aside from the 125 - 150 people in attendance, there were some highly unwelcome visitors - Newfies call them flies, I call them mosquitoes.
It TRULY was "Mosquito City"! Me and my British blood - these things were vicious and my poor legs got mangled with bites. DEET just didn't meet the match of these blood suckers:(. Youza!?!?!

Anyway, my first day ended on a great note where Captain Pam and I went for a run around what is called Cobb's Pond - about a 3 1/2 km boardwalk around a small lake close to the Quarters. I am hopeful this is a sign of things to come where I am back in the running game.

Final Thoughts for the Day: Life is good. God is good. And I am excited about what is in store for the days and weeks to come.

2 comments:

  1. Great idea to blog, cause I Love it!!! I feel like I am watching a movie of you while your are reading your diary in a voiceover! You are a talented writer! looking forward to hearing all about your adventure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so nice to hear about your adventures Joyce.....makes me feel like I am closer to you. B-cat

    ReplyDelete