Sunday, September 30, 2012

Surprise!

So,... there have been some surprises as I continue to make my way through this pregnancy (which I know is no surprise to many of you)!  Warning to Readers: if you are expecting a BIG surprise like an announcement of twins or something, I suggest you stop reading here - because you will be disappointed friends!?!?!

Stamina & Endurance:  Let me set the scene for you.  On our day off last week - where we were surprisingly experiencing some sunshine - Josh and I took someone's advice to check out a scenic view of lovely Cape Breton, and decided to go for a short, little hike up Ben Eion (a mere 2.5km loop).  Now, in fairness, it is pretty much straight up for the first 1.25km, but still...  I am not lying to you when I tell you that it was one of the poorest showings I have EVER had when it comes to physical activity.  Barely 300 feet up and I felt my lungs burning, every breath felt like searing pain, and I was sure my heart was going to pound its way out right through my rib cage.

So, even though I realized it was probably time for a short break, I was embarrassed to admit to Josh that I needed to stop.  A far cry from our pre-dating runs together!  I kept saying to Josh, "I think something is wrong with me," and he'd respond, "nothing is *wrong* with you Joyce, you're pregnant!!!"  Well, I am happy to report we did survive the walk, and thanks to an Orange Julius gift card from a friend, we also celebrated my 'success' with a mango madness smoothie:).

I also felt somewhat relieved when reading my info pack from the Health Unit later that day which informed me at this point in my pregnancy, my heart is pumping approximately 20% more blood than usual.  THERE IT IS!  The explanation, aka excuse, I was looking for.

Heartburn: not so much a surprise, but for some odd reason I had decided I wasn't going to have heartburn (for no good or logical reason I might add).  I guess because everyone told me once the 'morning sickness' - I use that term loosely - ends, then comes the heartburn.  I sort of assumed since the sickness has yet to end, the heartburn wouldn't happen.  Wrong assumption.  A strange sensation for a person who formerly had a stomach of steel that could handle just about anything!

Attention: There is no other way to say it.  I am not a person who typically enjoys attention.  I enjoy interaction with people, but too much attention on me makes me self-conscious and uncomfortable.  And yet, there is something special about knowing how much this baby is already loved so much by the people around me; the way my church family is so concerned about how I am feeling; and, how everyone is checking in to make sure that I am taking care of "their little Cape Bretoner"!  It is quite endearing:).  Don't get me wrong, I still don't need the attention, but there can be no doubt that this child is already very loved, and that is a-ok by this gal!


Mushy moment:  Thanks to all who have checked in recently - sickness aside, all is well.  And I'm looking forward to many, many more surprises in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment